Reading: “By his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us”—Hebrews 9:12
Ponder these solemn expressions concerning Jesus. Jesus, as a prophet, has revealed His salvation, as a priest, He has procured it—alone—and offered it up to God the Father, and as a King, He ever lives and reigns to see its efficacy fully accomplished in all His redeemed, being made partakers of it. Behold in this, His priestly office, both as a high priest and as the sacrifice, what He has accomplished—even eternal redemption. Consider, Christian, the several volumes of mercy comprised in the accomplishment of our redemption, and meditate on these:
- Remember man’s revolt from God.
- Think of the deadly breach because of sin.
- Consider the proclamation from heaven, of God’s determined purpose to take vengeance of sin.
- Remember man’s total inability to appease the divine wrath, either by doing or suffering.
- Celebrate divine grace, in the love of the Father, permitting a substitute, competent to do this great act of salvation for men; and appointing and constituting no less a person than His dear Son to the accomplishment of it.
- Rejoice that Jesus, the Son of God, voluntarily gave Himself—once and forever—as an offering and a sacrifice for sin.
- Enjoy the benefits that Jesus has purchased, having thus accomplished salvation on earth, has entered into the holy place, to make it effectual by His priestly office in heaven.
- Rejoice that God accepted His perfect work and now proclaims peace on earth, goodwill towards men.
Ponder over these grand, these glorious, these momentous subjects today. Take them about with you; wherever you go write them on the tablets of your heart; let them arise with you in the morning, and lay down with you in the evening. And, as you approach the mercy seat, behold Him, by whom the whole of redemption is worked out for you.